Who Are We?

Earth-Watchers are a diverse group of individuals who share a common interest in protecting our planet. We meet once a month to discuss how we can shed environmental impact pounds and live "lighter," on the earth. We focus on individual actions as well as community systems to help us meet our goals.
Click Here to Learn More about us and our Current Goals

Earth-Watchers meet in downtown Manhattan on the first Tuesday of each month. To learn more, to join, or to start a group in your community please email us at earthwatchers@yahoo.com.


Sunday, April 1, 2007

Take the Neither Paper nor Plastic Challenge

Inspired by San Francisco's recent ban on plastic bags, I've decided to ban my own use of non-reusable shopping bags over the next 21 days, since that's how long it takes to learn a new habit. By this I mean that I will attempt to refuse all non-re-useable shopping bags, both paper and plastic from all shop clerks. From that last minute stop to the drugstore, to the full on shopping spree for spring clothing, I intend to be bag free! I've actually tried this many times before, unsuccessfully. I've often found myself unexpectedly stopping to make a purchase with no means of carrying the items home without accepting a bag. This time, however, I have a plan and by making my intentions public, I hope I can stick to it.

Here are some tips:

1. Visit reusablebags.com. They sell a bag that folds up to a 2" x 3" x 2" pouch and weighs 1.5 oz. It can easily fit in a pocket or day bag. Then, when you need it, you can unfold it to 19"x16"x6". Pretty cool!

2. Toss a bunch of canvas bags in the trunk of your car. That way, if you make an unexpected stop you'll be prepared.

3. Leave an oversized bag by your front door. Mine hangs on my coat rack.
The image “http://site.earthwisebags.com/earthwisebags/images/pro_item.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Please join me in banning grocery bags. Blog your experiences; from mishaps, to successes and advice for struggling environmentalists.

2 comments:

Vegan said...

How did it go? It is difficult to remember to have bags with you all the time. I grew up in a country where there were no plastic or paper bags at that time. You had to have your own. But it is still dificult to me to go back to that habbit. But you inspired me to try again.

Some of your posts do not have commenting option.
I was wondering about organicaly grown salmon that I buy in Fairway. They claim it is chemical free and it is cheaper then wild Alascan. Wold be nice to have independant evaluation.

Thank you for all the tips on your blog.

Vegan
http://sensible-life.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great ideas.

If anyone is interested in making their own reusable bags, please visit my new blog: Make A Bag (linked below).

I am collecting free patterns for reusable shopping bags in all craft forms. Currently we have patterns for sewing, crochet, knitting, even macrame! So if you have a pattern you'd like to share, please let me know. I am also looking for photos of completed projects, photos that show the progression of a project, and guest bloggers. Email me at (makeabag at yahoo dot com) if you are interested in participating.